Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Court Date





On Monday, we had our re-adoption proceedings with Judge Mackenzie. It was just a formality, but now we can apply for a birth certificate with her new (English) name, our names as her parents, etc. It is so wonderful to see our names in that blank rather than "unknown".

Here is the funny part. Mia Grace started grunting and pointing when we walked into the Judge's Chambers. He asked what she was looking for. I told him that she saw his duck bookends. Well he just reached over the desk and handed it to her. She IMMEDIATLEY started quacking and clutching the duck. Hillarious!! We had to have our pictures made with the 5 pound treasured duck. So when we started to leave (yep, you guessed it) he gave her the duck. He said I have another one just like it. So, we left the courthouse with a newly named daughter and a new duck bookend.

My dad said that she has already learned how to work the system....LOL!!

It was a wonderful day! Now we just have to do our 12 month post placement report in March 09 and we will be DONE!! It has been a twisted journey from Hebron, to Taylorsville, to Laurel, to New Orleans, to Jackson, to Detroit, to Tokoyo, to CHINA and back home.....and to Waynesboro (of all places) to finalize things. Funny Stuff!!!! That's where the Judge was for the day. And, at this point what's a little drive?

We have been blessed on every leg of the journey! And it has all been soooooooo worth it!!

4 comments:

Adele said...

Congratulations! She looks beautiful in that dress! I remember when we did the re-adoption for Mal. It just felt good to finally have it done and know that she would have a birth certificate and that our names would be listed as her parents. I know you and Jim are ecstatic. Don't feel bad, we had to drive to Columbia for her re-adoption. But like you said, it was well worth it!
Love yall,
Adele

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your latest proceedings! that girl get more beautiful every day. Christmas will definitely be "fun" for you all with a little one around! Take care. I miss ya!! Love ya, LJ

Our Red Thread Journey said...

What a wonderful day you all had! I am so excited for your family.

If Mia Grace can wrestle a duck away from a Judge, I can only imagine what she can get her Daddy to do for her!!!

Naomi's Mom said...

Oh yes! My mind is still fresh with the peace of having the readoption legal work behind us. I only wish I'd had the presence of mind to take pictures at the courthouse! Yours are treasures! Mia Grace looks beautiful and radiant. (So do her parents!)

The final post-placement visit will surely bring the feeling of "closing the book" of adoption requirements.